who owns PSG football club?

who owns PSG football club?

Paris Saint-Germain or PSG is one of the most popular football clubs in the world. However, not many fans know about the owners of this wealthy club. This article will provide all the latest details about who owns PSG football club and how their ownership has transformed this French team into a powerhouse.

QSI Acquires PSG

In 2011, QSI, a Qatari sovereign wealth fund, acquired a majority 70% stake in PSG, marking a significant turning point in the club’s history. At the time, PSG was financially unstable and struggling to compete with the elite French clubs. QSI’s deep pockets signaled the beginning of a new era for the Parisian giants.

Unprecedented Investment

Since acquiring PSG, QSI has injected billions of dollars into the club through equity investments, sponsorships, and player transfer fees. Some of their high-profile signings include Neymar, Kylian Mbappe, Lionel Messi and Sergio Ramos. This financial backing has transformed PSG’s infrastructure, recruitment capabilities, and commercial revenues.

Dominance in Ligue 1

Under QSI, PSG has dominated French football, winning seven of the last ten Ligue 1 titles. They have also lifted six Coupe de France trophies in this period. In the 2021-22 season alone, PSG won both Ligue 1 and the Coupe de France. With QSI’s funds, PSG has developed an advantage over French rivals.

Rise in European Competitions

While domestic success came easily, PSG took time to adapt to Champions League football. However, in the 2019-20 season, they progressed to the Champions League final for the first time but lost to Bayern Munich. They were semi-finalists again in 2020-21. PSG is increasingly seen as one of the elite clubs in Europe thanks to QSI’s sustained investment.

Current Ownership Structure

QSI’s holding in PSG has increased over the years and currently stands at 94.2%. Colony Capital owns the remaining 5.8% stake. QSI chairman Nasser Al-Khelaifi also acts as PSG president, consolidating Qatari control. This stable ownership ensures long-term financial and sporting support for PSG.

Future Goals – A Global Brand

QSI aims to establish PSG as one of the biggest clubs worldwide. Their vision is for PSG to dominate Europe by winning the Champions League and enhance their global commercial appeal. PSG recently opened offices worldwide to strengthen relationships and scout talent. The construction of a new 200 million training center reflects the owners’ ambitious plans for long-term success.

Conclusion

Qatar Sports Investments’ takeover transformed PSG from a mid-table Ligue 1 club into a European powerhouse. Their financial backing recruited world-class players and built an incredibly dominant team. While domestic dominance is established, PSG’s quest to win their first Champions League title continues under committed Qatari ownership. Fans eagerly await what the future holds in store for Les Parisiens.

FAQ’s

Who owns PSG?

Qatar Sports Investments (QSI) owns 94.2% of shares in PSG.

When did QSI acquire PSG?

QSI acquired a 70% stake in PSG in June 2011 for a then-record €36 million.

What trophies has PSG won under QSI?

PSG has won 14 Ligue 1 titles, 9 Coupe de France trophies, and countless other domestic honors under QSI’s ownership.

What is QSI’s vision for PSG?

QSI aims to establish PSG as one of the biggest global football brands by enhancing its commercial value and winning its first Champions League title.

Similar Posts